life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Squirrel!!!!


Anyone that knows anything about me KNOWS I am a card-carrying member of the I hate to cook club.  The standing kitchen rule, for me, is 3 ingredients or less!

Living alone as I have mentioned 42 times before takes a whole new skill set, and this has been a big one!  Cooking for just 2 was a big transition after having teenage boys in the house, but cooking for one is nuts!  The first several months I lived on TV dinners and sandwiches but it got old fast, then in a totally desperate move, I went to the internet gathered up a bunch of “cooking for one” recipes and yes they did have more than 3 ingredients but I soldiered on!

Here is the rub in this plan….you cannot buy ingredients in” just for one” amounts, except for the produce department.  Lunchmeat, frozen veggies, boxes of anything, went bad, got freezer burn, or got stale before I could use them up.  That is unless I committed to eating the same thing over and over again for several days.  I was throwing away food and was feeling guilty and ashamed of my wastefulness.

I invested (not much) in a vacuum sealer and have been cooking smaller amounts, but using all of the perishable ingredients then sucking out the air, sealing them and throwing them in the freezer.  The theory is that they will last much longer without freezer burn. 

So far so good, but I am beginning to feel like a nut hoarding squirrel!
"All Star"  OrtoPilot

No comments:

Post a Comment