life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Annual Thanksgiving Rant....a day early!

Thanksgiving is a day set aside for each of us to acknowledge and appreciate all of the wonderful things in our lives!  But how the hell can a card carrying member of the “I hate to cook” club possibly be thankful for a holiday that seems to do that by celebrating cooking! I have always felt like a colossal Turkey Day failure! Who came up with this lousy plan?   Yes, I know the Pilgrim story, and to borrow a phrase from Ebenezer Scrooge ….Bah-hum-bug!

Most of my Thanksgivings were absolutely “Norman Rockwell” traditionally correct….you know the one where I furiously performed the prescribed Thanksgiving kitchen rituals, all the while knowing that the men and boys would be much happier with a McDonalds Happy Meal, a beer, a bag of chips and non-stop football.  They would courteously sit and eat for the minimum time required to be Thanksgiving correct, straining to hear the football scores between awkward conversations.  No one was happy or thankful!  

Finally, the past few years we have had the courage to break tradition, step away from convention, re-define our celebration while still embracing the true spirit of the holiday….which is to be thankful with family, to eat and drink until you can barely walk, be creative anywhere but the kitchen and watch football. 

We now say an irreverent but authentic grace that celebrates our gratitude with a beer over a blooming onion, followed by a steak (or anything else on the menu), as someone else performs (and might I say…. wonderfully well) all of the cooking, serving and cleaning duties. We have the most amazing celebration and enjoyable conversations …..on the day before Thanksgiving!…..I now spend Thanksgiving Day in the studio celebrating in creative bliss, while there is uninterrupted beer, football and snacks in the family room…Could Thanksgiving possibly get any better than this?

This is our delightfully cheeky Thanksgiving and I am in deed…. truly truly thankful!
"Living in the Moment"  Jason Mraz

No comments:

Post a Comment