life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Red Flags!

Yesterday I had an appointment with an acupuncture physician.  My hopes were to find an alternative and somewhat familiar way to deal with some of the physical and emotional changes I am going through.  I thought that was a reasonable request…perhaps not.  The first thing was a diagnostic test to determine my problems.  I was to place my hand on a “cradle” of sorts that was connected to a computer screen.  Then the chiropractor, acupuncturist, disabled veteran, monk (no kidding he said he was a monk), gunshot wound, cancer/HIV survivor walks up introduces himself and begins looking and the print out on the screen.  Never opened my folder, never looked at my history and never asked me why I was there.  RED FLAG!
Oh did I mention that not only did the “hand computer diagnosis” determine which of my organs were not working at peak efficiency because of vitamin and mineral starvation ( now may be a good time to interject that 2 of the organs were reported as working within normal ranges… I no longer have.  No indication of heart failure or evidence of my implanted defibrillator)  but the “Hand computer diagnosis”… told him which of my vertebrae were out of alignment.  Less than 3 minutes into the “hand computer diagnosis” he began the natural supplements sales pitch. In addition the sale of supplements I also needed weekly chiropractic adjustment as well as regular acupuncture. He still had not asked what I wanted or why I was there.  RED FLAG is now waving violently.

I am now frustrated…here is another “medical” person whose primary purpose clearly has nothing to do with what I want or how I feel….but about how much I was fiscally worth to him…his bottom line.  He offered many times to discount his services…because he was a monk.  He claimed, more than once that he could make me better…he could “heal” me.  I respectfully declined the vitamin supplements and the chiropractic services and asked to proceed with the pre-paid acupuncture session.  As I lay quietly with the 10 needles placed in me, instead of relaxing and allowing the chi to flow, my mind went into high gear.  And this is what I figured out…
I value myself and how I feel…and he is not going to bully or shame me. I decided that perhaps he did not understand me, or maybe he never had a patient like me and before I get overly defensive and angry I will initiate one more conversation.  When the needles were removed I sat and said…”I understand your focus is on living well, but my focus for the time, is on dying well, perhaps we have something to learn from each other.” He said I needed to trust him and his methods.   He asked me to follow him into his office and offered another chiropractic discount that I declined, then picked up a Publix water bottle that he claims he had personally infused with his own special vitamins and minerals and that I need a month’s supply of.  I kindly raised my hand and said “no thank you, you are not listening to me” and I left his office.
"No"  Meghan Trainor

No comments:

Post a Comment