life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Lay down…feet up…pass out...in that order!

The official report is in...Last Monday's close encounter with the bathroom floor was Syncope ….sometimes they just need to talk to me in “real people speak”  in the meantime here is the official  – Wikipedia explanation… Syncope, also known as fainting, (well DUH!) is a loss of consciousness and muscle strength characterized by a fast onset, short duration, and spontaneous recovery. It is caused by a decrease in blood flow to the brain, usually from low blood pressure.

So here is the crappy part, it is just another part of heart failure and as the disease continues I should expect it to happen more often.  Again, I would like to point out…. this rather disturbing little detail was NOT in the Heart Failure Handbook!
    
Part of this week’s nurse discussion was to think back and get very clear about just how I was feeling before I blacked out. Lightheaded, disconnected, confused ( I could not remember how to brush my teeth) explains it, however, differentiating regular confusion from “holy crap” you are about to pass out confusion may take a little practice.  I have been taught that the best way to deal with this is to be very aware of the “feeling” at the onset and “GET DOWN” before I fall down…the danger is not in the actual losing consciousness but hurting myself in the fall (I had a really sore and banged up knee and understand that one completely).  All I can do is mitigate the possible damage by being in a safe place when I pass out! 

So the official treatment is... lay down THEN faint…rather than faint and fall down.  Who knew????   Lay down…feet up…pass out...in that order.... Got it!
"Counting Stars" Gardner Sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment