life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

My sanctimonious righteous morality......does seem to have a price!


I will preface this rant with……
I am the absolute last person to sing the praises of Walmart. 

For the most part, I have detested them. A huge store, dangerous after-hours parking lot, with narrow aisles in the store that are always backed up, long check-out lines, and they contribute nothing to the local community or economy (except for the obligatory taxes).

I also have a moral problem with the owners that make so much money while they pay their employees so little forcing many of them to depend on federal aid and food stamps to make ends meet for their families. In short, it seems that we taxpayers are subsidizing the Walmart owner’s profits.

And if that was not enough….there was a period of time that I felt economically prostituted to the pharmacy, by my insurance company, however, in my own defense, the one prescription that I paid $76.00 at Walgreens was only $4.00 at Walmart. It quickly became a love-hate relationship when they rarely had anything ready even when I was notified via text that it was. They were consistently not ready for me or they were missing one of the prescriptions which had me wandering around the store waiting or making a return visit. Both typically resulted in me making additional purchases. I will admit it was a pretty ingenious marketing ploy and I was always angry with myself for literally buying into it. I suspect they more than made at least, if not more than the $72.00 from me buying additional items that I thought I was saving.

I find myself in the hands of the evil Walmart once more…but this time I am not grousing and complaining. My local Walmart has begun a grocery pick-up service. I go online, choose the products that I want and they have them there waiting for me. They have a covered area to wait, while they load the groceries into my van. Trips to the grocery store had become a 3 to 4-hour event pushing a cart through the store on my oxygen “leash”, loading, unloading in the heat and putting away was the perfect recipe for total exhaustion. It took me an entire day to shop, put away and recover. This Walmart shopping service costs nothing extra and reduced this chore to less than an hour and that includes putting the groceries away.

My lesson here is either “never say never” or my sanctimonious righteous morality does have a price! Whichever it is, I am owning it! ….. Thank you Walmart, you have made my life easier.
"I'm a Woman"  Koko Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment