life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Saturday, December 17, 2016

I could NOT make this up!

Yesterday I got a call from the Vitas chaplain/spiritual advisor requesting to come for a short visit. Although I am officially a card carrying "heathen" (aka non-christian yet extremely spiritual). I thought, at this point, why not, what can it hurt, could be interesting? In an hour or so a huge man was at my front door introducing himself. I invited him in, and we chatted for a few moments, he asked about my spiritual beliefs and I briefly summarized  my less than typical beliefs. He was quite understanding and open to my spiritual bend and I was thinking this could be an interesting learning experience for both of us. As conversations go, I returned his inquiry with what I felt was an equally appropriate question of my own, asking how he had come to choose his less than typical spiritual practice as a hospice chaplain.

He explained he was not always a preacher/chaplain ……he had been a WWF professional wrestler….WHAT????

In his wrestling days!
Yep..you read it right “Jack (Towers) The Outlaw” WWF championship belt holding ex-professional wrestler is my spiritual advisor….and NO you just could not make this up. Of course he is retired now, went to seminary school, but if you ever get to meet him, you will see that he is every bit still the wrestler as he is a preacher….

It felt like I was in a surreal warped episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where the wrestling Reverend Little Ed just walked into my living room.  It took every ounce of strength I had to remain composed...I think my tongue was bleeding from me biting it!

Anyway as it turns out...he is truly a very nice man and wildly more interesting!   Besides...if I were to receive a miraculous religious “experience”.... Wouldn't it be a hell of a story, if it were with a wrestler rather than a regular old milk toast preacher! .....Bwa-ha-ha-ha….The truth is so much better than fiction!
Wresting Data website link
"WKRP opening theme song"

No comments:

Post a Comment