life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Friday, September 6, 2019

Not in his shoes…On his shoes


The most amazing things about Skip were not the things he did in public for others to see but all of the little moments. Yesterday, as I begin again, to sift through his things to give away, or donate, or keep, or…I just do not know...I ran across his old top-siders.  They were worn out; the stitching was coming loose and the soles were reduced to cardboard!  He got new ones some time ago, and I thought this pair had been pitched. But there they were in the bottom of this closet behind tons of “stuff” and I do not think he ever intended anyone to find them! There were the shoes that he and Harper (the first and only granddaughter, after 4 grandsons)  drew on Thanksgiving 2017. While the 2 of them were chalk drawing on the porch waiting for turkey dinner to be done, Harper reached over and began drawing on this shoe.  Rather than telling her “no, we do not draw on our shoes” He took his chalk and drew on his other shoe. These are the gifts and the memories, he continues to give me. I do not ever want to forget and I want everyone to know, he was so much more than most people ever really knew.

"Daughters" John Mayer

2 comments:

  1. I loved how he didn't have to be in the spotlight, he let others shine.. he had an infectious way about him, of laughing and sharing the joke with others. I love this story.. thanks for sharing.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way he was always ready to take a group picture of us after a night of back porch gatherings which I'm sure made it impossible for him to sleep. Definitely one of the good guys.

    ReplyDelete