life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

life, love,art. heart failure and assorted ramblings

Don't Talk Like That...

I write to find out what my heart thinks....
I am here to celebrate my life, to uncover my fears, to hold on to love, to grieve my losses, to laugh long and hard, and to learn how to live a full magnificent life with heart failure. I am honoring my creativity, and exploring all of my emotions out loud ...before anyone can say....."Don't talk like that!"


.

.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

I would rather say what I am than explain what I am not.

I imagine there are oodles of people that think being “not-a-Christian “ is deliberately choosing to be evil and go to hell.  But, I suspect those same people might automatically assume I am Christian if I claimed I was “not-a-Jew”,  “not-a-Muslim” “not-a-Buddhist” or “not-a-Hindu”. There are some parts of each of those practices that I embrace wholeheartedly. There are other parts of those same religious tenets and doctrines that I cannot wrap my reasonable head and/or emotional heart around.  With an open heart and an open mind, I have yet to find any one thing that makes a particular religion more holy, believable or evil than the other.  The most frequent common denominator for religious belief is how we were raised and what we were taught as children, rarely is it our own mindful intelligent investigations. I am always astounded when a religion validates its relevancy with the fantastic, magic, unbelievable, fairy tale myths and fables.  Perfectly intelligent, rational and matter of fact people will embrace these stories as fact without question.
I will admit, for the most part, claiming what I am not, almost always makes others see me as evil or at the very least damned.  I am quite simply a spiritual person, that thinks (which is much different from knowing) that there is something that we do not yet understand that is bigger more powerful than our humanness. I admit to not knowing what it is but I am intelligent enough to come to a rational decision about what it is not.  I truly enjoy embracing the mystery of not knowing and I have no problem respecting another’s  beliefs as long as they can honor mine as well.  I am open to all rational possibilities but this is my only bottom line….. science and religion cannot be at odds with each other…they must function in accord.  In my own rational opinion, when the 2 exist in harmony…. we will all find grace and peace as humans.
 I would rather say what I am than explain what I am not.  I am conscious, aware and spiritual.

"All that We Let In"  Indigo Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment